Przejdź do głównej zawartości

CAGD 493 week 3

 This week I focused on creating a tiger walk cycle just from a video reference - without looking at the practice file or poses. 

The first thing I needed to look at was what I can do with the rig so it stops breaking all the time, because as I have explained in the pervious post, I have had many issues with the tiger rig and animating with a rig that works like this, is almost impossible. I did a lot of troubleshooting and ended up changing the evaluation mode in Maya from Parallel to DG. This switch definitely helped with using the rig, as it stopped breaking, like it did before. 

Then I looked at a video reference of a tiger walking: 

To get a better idea of how which frame is which pose, I moved the video to SyncSketch and changed the framerate to 24fmp. Then I chose a snippet to base my animation off of and looped only that part in SyncSketch. 

Then mostly working in side and perspective views I started animating the walk in Maya. I prefer to animate with reference over what I did last week, because now I felt like I have more freedom and my animation does not have to look exactly like the one in the practice folder. 

While animating I needed to think a lot about how do the hips of an animal work while it walks. When do they turn and when do they walk up. With turning I have noticed that it is similar to how a human walks - the hips are turned away from the leg that is currently in front of the body.
I also needed to look at when the posture would go up and down. The hips and shoulders move up when the paw is touching the ground and is in the smallest proximity to the rest of the body. I illustrated it in this picture: 


I ended up animating a walk cycle quite successfully, I personally still see room for improvement - I feel like the movement is very smooth and nice when the first paw is in front of the tiger, but the movement gets a lot snappier and faster on the other side, which in my opinion creates an inconsistency. 
Here is the gif with the animation: 




Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

CAGD 493 Week 10

 This week I got some feedback about what I can improved in my tired dog animation.  The first thing I looked at is adding a little bounce to the COG after the dog hits the ground. I added the bounce, so the dog doesn't fall like an inanimate object, but has more life in itself.  I also added a little movement to the ears and the two breaths I had added before, I have changed it into one breath, since I got the feedback that the mouth was a little confusing to other students.  The next thing that I needed to add some animation to is the tail. I have not touched the tail yet in this animation so there were zero keys on it. I decided that I don't want the tail to be too distracting and I only really want it to be visible when the dog is falling down, because then the tail will follow and completely fall after the dog.  I quite like this approach to the tail, I am not sure if it is not too fast. I also tried to make the ears less robotic and I think I have achieved that. After loo

CAGD 493 Week 12

 This week, I have still worked a little bit on the dog collapsing. I had fun with this little project. Here is where I am at with this animation. I may still do some tweaks to it before I consider it finished, but overall, I am happy with it. After I have polished this animation, I have decided to start another animation with a creature. For the rig, I have chosen the Anthro tiger rig from Agora Rigs. It is a tiger rig, but it is more human like. I have worked with quadrupeds throughout most of the semester, so I decided to take a little break from that and animate once again a creature, but that behaves more like a human.  For the action, I decided to do a step side kick that could possibly break a board if I wanted to add that to the scene. As of right now, I am not sure if I want to add a board and someone holding the board, or the board on a horse, but I might do, if I think it would make the animation look more attractive.  I chose this video as a reference (first two seconds of